The Genesee County Educational Foundation (GCEF) is a nonprofit organization that was established in 1985 by the Genesee Intermediate School District (GISD) and is governed by a volunteer board of directors. The foundation is dedicated to charitable, educational, and scientific purposes. As such, the foundation supports GISD initiatives to:
- Conduct and promote programs that embrace the availability and quality of environmental education and the appreciation for the natural sciences
- Develop and promote a public relations program to market environmental education and natural sciences through hands-on and site-based experiences, early childhood initiatives, and scholarship programs for higher education students and teacher candidates
- Solicit funds from external sources to support the aforementioned
Funds generated by the foundation are used in:
- Operating, maintaining, and expanding the 268-acre Ligon Outdoor Center located in northeastern Genesee County
- Providing an array of developmental services through the SKIP to a Great Start program for children prenatal through kindergarten age
- Supporting scholarships for:
Donations to the five sub-funds (Before and After School, GEC, Ligon, MMC, and SKIP) of the GCEF as well as direct contributions to the Ligon Outdoor Center Endowment Fund, held by the Community Foundation of Greater Flint, are eligible for the federal income tax deduction.
For More Information
For further information on the Genesee County Educational Foundation and its mission, please call (810) 591-4541.