|Welcome to Your Future!
All students have an opportunity for higher education. The Greater Flint Educational Consortium’s mission is to assist in bridging the gap between high school and college for all students in Genesee County.
Federal Student Aid
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the federal website for Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, and is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation – making college education possible for every
dedicated mind by providing more than $150 billion in federal grants, loans, and
Federal Student Aid is responsible for managing the student financial assistance
programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. These
programs provide grants, loans, and work-study funds to students attending college or career school.
We ensure students and their families can benefit from these programs by:
- informing students and families about the availability of the federal student aid programs and the process for applying for and receiving aid from those programs;
- developing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) and processing approximately 22 million FAFSA submissions each year;
- accurately disbursing, reconciling, and accounting for all federal student aid funds that are delivered to students each year through more than 6,200 colleges and career schools;
- managing the outstanding federal student loan portfolio and securing repayment from federal student loan borrowers;
- offering free assistance to students, parents, and borrowers throughout the entire financial aid process; and
- providing oversight and monitoring of all program participants—schools, financial entities, and students— to ensure compliance with the laws, regulations, and policies governing the federal student aid programs.
Information about financial aid and assistance with paying for college as well as FAQs can be found on the FAFSA website.
For more information or to request assistance, please call the Greater Flint Educational Consortium at (810) 591-4876, or contact your high school office or counseling staff.
A service of the Greater Flint
Several Genesee County school districts offer FAFSA Nights.
FAFSA Nights are open to students and parents from around the county and are provided to assist with the FAFSA process.
Some Genesee County school districts, along with area higher
education partners, also offer other opportunities for students and parents to obtain information on college enrollment
and financial aid.
The schedule of area FAFSA Nights and College Information events provides
the type of event, dates, and locations for each site.